Friday, May 7, 2010

You're Worth

One of the things I have noticed over the years is that nobody... and I mean nobody... has ever said to me after I quoted a price...

"Scott, you are worth far more than that. Let me pay you 20% more"

How about you? Ever had that happen? How about the other way around? Ever had someone try and knock down your price? This of course happens all the time and is just a part of business.

I can't say I have ever suggested to someone I paid that they should raise their rates either.

So while there are commercial realities to business. And while nobody is ever going to pay you $500 an hour to do a $20 an hour job. The key to getting what you are worth is working like crazy to get really, really good at what you do. Or create the best products possible to truly know the value you provide. And then raise your rates accordingly.

After all, nobody is going to ever give you permission.

You must do it for yourself. I can remember the time I asked for $38 an hour when I had previously only been paid $15 an hour. I felt like a fraud. I felt like I was going to be found out. But I wasn't. I had just been devaluing my services and skills up to that point.

And nobody ever complained. And now, I look back and wouldn't get out of bed for the amount I thought I wasn't good enough to earn. Of course, you cannot do this without substance.

Nobody is going to pay $200 for toilet paper they can buy from Woolworths for $5. And there is an "apprentice" stage with every profession. But if you can deliver something unique... if you can deliver something which truly holds value... if you can deliver something very few people can deliver...

Then don't fall into the trap of devaluing what you're worth.

Of course, the main reason people do this is because they don't know how to get enough customers. So they accept the crumbs others are willing to throw them. Rather than demanding the gold.

How about you? Do you feel you are getting what you are worth for your products and services?

If not, it's time to master another craft.

The craft of getting more customers.

Remember, supply and demand determines the value of everything.

So make sure you develop skills which have little supply and lots of demand.

And then lift your self-esteem up a notch and charge what you are worth.

Because nobody else is going to give you permission other than yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment